NATIONAL INFORMATION AND COMMUNICATION INTIATIVE (NICI)
Plan and Policies
The NICI is similar to e-Strategy Plan. It is a mechanism to implement the vision of African Information Society Initiative (AISI) at the national level. As AISI focuses its vision on ICT Development in Africa , the NICI contains a guiding framework for ICT program planning, project development and implementation. It has a series of sector applications defined according to Africa 's priorities.
NICI Development Process
The NICI Plan and Policies development process in The Gambia is geared towards recognizing the areas where ICT would contribute to the attainment of the overall objective of the Vision 2020 and the four strategic issues identified in the PRSP:
To leverage the benefits of ICT for people-centered, free market based and export-oriented socio-economic development strategy built on the principles of public-private partnership for wealth creation.
To achieve higher growth rates in all spheres of socio-economic activities using ICT as a platform to exchange data, information, knowledge and a tool to implement applications and provide services in order to "leapfrog" several stages of development through a participatory approach in building human resource and conducive environment.
Deliverable of policy process
• The Baseline Study : Survey
• The Framework: general problem and policy areas, specific policy issues, orientations (WHY)
• The Policy Document : Government policy commitment in relation to WHAT needs to be done
• The Plan : HOW policy commitments can be translated to concrete programmes
- Provide adequate Funding Resources
- Continued alignment/ integration with public sector reform
- Strong change management
- Effective organisational support
- Legal & regulatory support
The Way Forward in the NICI Process
• Need for continuous awareness raising among policymakers
• Identifying and ICT champion at the top level of government: Head of State or Prime Minister
• Mainstreaming sectoral e-strategies in National development plans and country frameworks
• Putting in place innovative funding mechanisms to implement projects set out in NICI plans
• Assessment and Peer Reviewing of NICI Implementation Harmonizing NICI implementation and development of sectoral e-strategies at sub-regional level