MOICI AND MAINSTREAM MEDIA OFFICIALS RETURN FROM CHINA
The People’s Republic of China conducted a 25 day seminar for 19 Gambian officials in the mainstream media and from the Ministry of Information and Communications Infrastructure from 21st April 2018 to 14th May 2018 in Changsha, Hunan Province, China.
The seminar, organized by the Hunan International Business Vocational & Technical College was funded by the Ministry of Commerce of the People’s Republic of China.
During the opening ceremony on 21st April 2018, the Deputy Director of the Ministry of Finance and Hunan International Business Vocational & Technical College, Mr Li Peng, noted that over the years, the People’s Republic of China has been proactively striving for the path of common development and prosperity with other developing countries.
Participants were introduced to different topics with lectures on program production and innovation influenced by the internet, art and technical application in classical television work, current situation and trends in China’s TV entertainment industry, innovative methods in Hunan TV program, development in China’s TV and media, development of China’s TV industry in the era of new media.
The Development of trends in Chinese TV and the Hunan TV Phenomenon
Television is the main force in China’s broadcasting Industry. Under the influence of new technology wave and the development policy of china’s cultural industry, the TV industry in China has been faced with new challenges and new situations, which directly affected the future trend of TV industry in China while maintaining the rapid development.
Hunan Media and TV Station has 189 Satellites, 10 broadcasting Media and 360 Channels.
Though the Hunan Satellite TV Station is a small TV Channel, it has broken business barriers amongst other TV Stations, thereby attracting the audience through national and cultural experience.
Development of China’s TV
Under the influence and development of the future trend in the China’s TV development, so many issues have been improved.
Other technologies cover most of the Radios and Television networks. Through the Cable Satellite TV Channels, people in the rural areas or province can watch the TV Signals.
TV is also an advertisement avenue for revenue and has also influenced the broadcasting (TV and Film) industries as an emerging industry in the national economy. New technology, Media and TV programs promote digital technology which has been widely used in the development of the TV platform.
New technologies have also opened up for new TV industries which emerged in the National Communication Plan, Communication Network in the digital era.
New Media in business is the new trend in China, TV development has become the national mobilization of social media’s and new technology.
Learning from the development and rapid growth of the Chinese mass media, participants of the 25 day seminar also urged the Ministry of Information and Communications Infrastructure and the Government of The Gambia to emulate the People’s Republic of China for media reform and innovations.
• MASS MEDIA COLLEGE: The Government should endeavor and build a standard Mass Media College that will be linked with the TV and radio stations for effective standards, resources sharing and knowledge. That’s why the Chinese media is so advance and up to standard.
• INTERNET: As we all know internet is one of the core things that controls the world and is also the best platform to achieve many things in the era of technology. Nowadays most people don’t have the time to sit and watch TV. With the integration of the TV stations and the new internet platform, it will persuade the audience to use their mobile phones or other devices to access the videos websites, purchase goods and do their business transactions. The Government should also try and push Gambian TV station to do such.
• STANDARDS: The ministry should set a standard for all the TV and Radio stations. There should be certain criteria that should be set to earn you a place to work in a TV or radio stations. New graduate student should undergo professional training before being appointed or taken for attachment. 80% of the employees of any TV stations or Radio should come from the Mass Media Colleges.
• YOUTH: In most of the China’s TV and radio stations their average employment ages are between 20 to 28 years. They believe that the youths are the future and are more aware of what’s trending and are more innovative. This strategy will bring more youth employment and the Government should introduce such strategy to empower the youths.
• INVESTMENT: Measures to encourage investment capital, both public and private in the communication industries should be taken. Any media financed or controlled by the state shall be operated in such a manner suitable for accommodation of differences of opinion.
• IMPARTIALITY: All TV stations should operate in the interest of the public and conduct broadcasting services with impartial attention to the interest and responsiveness of different communities in The Gambia. The media must also promote cultural, moral, social and economic values of The Gambia and to establish scientific and fair value evaluation system.
Given that the media is the primary means of communication used to reach the vast majority of the audience or general public;
Given the existing relationship between the People’s Republic of China and The Gambia;
The participants further urge the government to prioritize support for the media as a platform for rapid national development to enable government media officials and the mainstream media use technology to implement systematic research, studies and knowledge gain.